Friday, May 4, 2012

Bookstore Bliss

Everyone's had one of those perfect bookstore trips when it seems the gods are smiling down at you and you walk away feeling like you hit the jackpot. Maybe you discovered a new book or a new author or you found more books than you intended. Maybe all of the above.
Yesterday was one of those days for me. It was a last minute trip, intended as story time with my son (which we missed) and time for him to spend with cousins and the train table. I figured I would pick up the new Charlaine Harris while I was there, but had no intention of really buying anything else.
After everyone left, Charlie and I wandered around for a bit and I discovered a new book and new author (well, two new authors).
Rumor Has ItJill Mansell is a British author and had been recommended by my BFF, so I happened on one of her books at a table, rumour has it
Tilly Cole makes an impulsive decision to apply for a "Girl Friday" ad in a small town but soon finds herself enmeshed in small town gossip and rivalry for the town's hottie, Jack Lucas. ( I would have bought the book for that name alone - perfection).
It looks really good and I enjoy a good British book so cross my fingers and I'll have a review up soon.

Then I headed over to the bargain table, one of my favorite stops in the bookstore. Filled with publisher's overstock and hidden gems. I found what I hope to be is my gem in Heresy by S.J. Parris.
Set in Elizabethan England, the book weaves together history and fiction (sold!). The plot follows Giordano Bruno, a monk, poet, scientist and magician as he is plucked by Queen Elizabeth to help discover a Catholic plot to overthrow her from the throne.

Heresy (Giordano Bruno, #1)
So, I discovered two new books/authors not to mention my son asked if he could get a book. Love love love it! Then, while checking out, the bookseller comments on Heresy and tells me it's the first of a series, now on it's third installment and she loves the series. So we got to talking and I told her about  my discovery the other day in a newsletter of The President's Vampire. It's about a vampire dating back to Andrew Jackson's presidency and the secret weapon of presidents since then.

The President's Vampire (Nathaniel Cade #2)The book happens to be the second in a series and I found the first on www.abebooks.com, for only a couple dollars, score! We chatted for a few more minutes until I took my bag of new treasures and went home for my own story time with my favorite little bookworm.
All in all it was an unexpected but highly satisfying trip, I'm still on a book high! Happy Reading to all!

2 comments:

  1. OOO I love a good book shopping trip. Sounds like you got some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know,it's such a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete