Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Jamie!



Today is May 1, to Outlander fans around the world, today is also Jamie Fraser's birthday. I believe he would be 291 today. In honor of his birthday and my obsession with Outlander, I have compiled some of my favorite Jamie quotes. I went a little overboard and I could have added a lot more. My original intention was a quote from each book, clearly that didn't happen.
If you are an Outlander fan, enjoy the walk down memory lane, maybe crack open your favorite Outlander book and enjoy. If you're new to Outlander, I hope these quotes inspire you to pick it up and read it. Either way, Happy Birthday to the best leading man in fiction

Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone,
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.” 
― Diana GabaldonOutlander

“Ye werena the first lass I kissed," he said softly. "But I swear you'll be the last.” 
― Diana GabaldonOutlander

“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. 
― Diana GabaldonOutlander



"I'll leave it to you, Sassenach," he said dryly, "to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage."
Dragonfly in Amber,Chapter 12: L'Hopital des Anges 

"I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you---then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."
      His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.
      "Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well."
Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 46: Timor Mortis Conturbat Me 


"I have burned for you for twenty years, Sassenach," he said softly. "Do you not know that?"
Voyager, Chapter 25: House of Joy


"It's no just the bedding, ye ken," he said, drawing back a little at last. His eyes looked down at me, a soft deep blue like the warm tropic sea.
      "No," I said, touching his cheek. "It isn't."
      "To have ye with me again---to talk wi' you---to know I can say anything, not guard my words or hide my thoughts---God, Sassenach," he said, "the Lord knows I am lust-crazed as a lad, and I canna keep my hands from you---or anything else---" he added, wryly, "but I would count that all well lost, had I no more than the pleasure of havin' ye by me, and to tell ye all my heart."
Voyager, Chapter 27: Up in Flames

  "Damn you, Sassenach!" his voice said, from a very great distance. His voice was choked with passion. "Damn you! I swear if ye die on me, I'll kill you!"
Voyager, Chapter 63: Out of the Depths



He took both my hands in his, then, and kissed them---the left, which still bore the gold ring of my marriage to Frank, and then the right, with his own silver ring.
      "Da mi basia mille," he whispered, smiling. Give me a thousand kisses. It was the inscription inside my ring, a brief quotation from a love song by Catullus. I bent and gave him one back. "Dien mille altera," I said. Then a thousand more.
Drums of Autumn,Chapter 9: Two Thirds of a Ghost

"You are my courage, as I am your conscience," he whispered. "You are my heart---and I your compassion. We are neither of us whole, alone. Do ye not know that, Sassenach?"
Drums of Autumn, Chapter 16: The First Law of Thermodynamics 

 "So long as my body lives, and yours---we are one flesh," he whispered....And when my body shall cease, my soul will still be yours. Claire---I swear by my hope of heaven, I will not be parted from you."
Drums of Autumn,Chapter 16: The First Law of Thermodynamics

"Did I ever think to thank ye, Sassenach?" he said, his voice a little husky.
     "For what?" I said, puzzled. He took my hand and drew me gently toward him. He smelled of ale and damp wool, and very faintly of the brandied sweetness of fruitcake.
     "For my bairns," he said softly. "For the children that ye bore me."
     "Oh," I said. I leaned slowly forward, and rested my head against the solid warmth of his chest. I cupped my hands at the small of his back beneath his coat, and sighed. "It was. . .my pleasure."
The Fiery Cross,Chapter 13: Beans and Barbecue,

 "When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time."
The Fiery Cross,Chapter 111: And Yet Go Out to Meet It, 

"I love you, a nighean donn. I have loved ye from the moment I saw ye, I will love ye 'til time itself is done, and so long as you are by my side, I am well pleased wi' the world."
The Fiery Cross Chapter 99: Brother


 "It's a great comfort," he said at last, "to see the sun come up and go down. When I dwelt in the cave, when I was in prison, it gave me hope, to see the light come and go, and know that the world went about its business."
     He was looking out the window, toward the blue distance where the sky darkened toward infinity. His throat moved a little as he swallowed.
     "It gives me the same feeling, Sassenach," he said, "to hear ye rustling about in your surgery, rattling things and swearin' to yourself." He turned his head, then, to look at me, and his eyes held the depths of the coming night.
     "If ye were no longer there—or somewhere—" he said very softly, "then the sun would no longer come up or go down." 
A Breath of Snow and Ashes, Chapter 66, The Dark Rises,






2 comments:

  1. Some of my favorites...brings tears to my eyes everytime. I was going to comment with my favorite but I can't pick just one either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have re-read these a hundred times since posting. It's really hard to choose,and there were so many more to add.

    ReplyDelete