Monday, April 23, 2012

Coffee and Conversation

Some people have comfort food and clothes etc. I have comfort books. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, those select few books you can turn to at any time and they are guaranteed to lift your spirits.
Today is a chilly, rainy day and I've been thinking about my comfort books, curling up with a blanket, a hot cup of coffee and one of my favorites. Here are some of my all-time when it doubt, read this books. (This list is not definitive).

Outlander (Outlander, #1)  As far as I'm concerned, there is never a bad time to pick up any one of the Outlander series and get lost in the epic love story of Jamie and Claire. These books also fall under my favorite series of all time but more of that another time. It's a story of a love so strong, it knows no bounds of time.
It's 1945, Scotland. Claire Beauchamp Randall is on a second honeymoon with her husband Frank when she walks through an ancient stone circle and is transported to 1743 Scotland. 
Claire must struggle through intrigues and chaos that may put her life at risk. And she meets James Fraser, a young Scots warrior who will forever change her life. 
I am getting nostalgic for Jamie as I type this. Outlander is the chocolate of comfort books or for any mood. I cannot praise it any higher. If you haven't read these books, get yourself to a book store immediately and read them. Your life will never be the same.

To Kill a Mockingbird  My all-time favorite book. How can you not love Scout and Jem Finch. I have read this book so many times and always look forward to the next time I pick it up to get lost in Scout and Jem as  they struggle with growing up and trying to catch a glimpse of Boo Radley.
A classic novel of youth, growing up, and the human condition. Set in a small southern town that is rocked by a murder, the town struggles with racial lines of love and hate, innocence, kindness and cruelty.

The Time Traveler's Wife Another time travel book. But again, I've read this book so many times and it never gets old. I am at heart a sucker for a love story. There is nothing like it and this is one of my favorites.
 When Henry meets Clare, he is twenty-eight, she is twenty. Clare has known Henry since she was six years old, Henry has never met Clare. Henry is a time traveler, here one minute, gone the next, sometimes to his past, sometimes his future. 
A story of fate, hope, and of a love so powerful it crosses the bounds of time.

Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) This is a recent addition to my list as I was only introduced to Jill Shalvis last year. But what a year. The Lucky Harbor books (this is the first in the series) are now on my top favorite romances along with some of her other books.
Maddie's life is in the crapper. She's lost her job, and she's out of a place to live. Plus, she's running low on chips. Jax is a contractor who will help Maddie restore the beautiful Inn her mother left her and her two sisters. Maddie struggles to find herself amid her sisters bickering and her relationship with Jax.


What are your favorite rainy day books? Whatever it is, day is the perfect day to snuggle up with a warm cup of something hot and a favorite book. Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment